Saturday, March 10, 2007

We cannot treat children like dogs

We cannot treat children like dogs
kiss them, play with them with they are in a jolly good mood and looking cute,
smack them, hit them when they bite us or get in our path.
Children are human beings too, they have emotions, they can get affected by the environment, they can get stressed and they can get cranky when they are sleepy.

I get cranky when I am lacking sleep too. How can I expect my 16 months old son to behave when I deprive him of sleep because I need to bring him out late at night? How can I smack him when he misbehaves because he is trying to catch my attention so that I can bring him home to sleep? He is a human being, not a dog.

What I have to do now is to try my best to bring him home to sleep when he can take it no longer : )

Children are human beings like us. Seek to understand them before expecting to be understood. Praises work well on him. No words like "You are naughty!", I use words like " What you did was wrong!". I catch him doing the right things and praise him. Understand his emotions and personality. I realised my son is very much like me. I was being caned and spanked a lot when I was younger. Outwardly, I was a quiet and good girl because I feared the spanking, inwardly, I was waiting to rebel. Everythings needs to have a balance.

Now, when he knows that he is going out, he sometimes will keep his toys on his own initiative. I was overjoyed when I saw that.

2 comments:

Rainbows from God said...

You know? :) More than once I've been thinking, "P. has grown so much. She is such a confident and wise mother now :) because of her love for her little boy."

I don't believe there's a best or only correct way to parent -- every child and family are different. Who else can know yours better than you do? :)

andrew said...

while hanging out at shopping malls, i sometimes see parents who put their children on a harness (or a leash if you prefer that term). always gives me the chuckles, especially when the kid is active and running around. kinda like a puppy. talk about treating kids like dogs? heh :-)